Achieving healthy and radiant skin requires more than just a single skincare product. It's all about the art of layering!
By strategically incorporating various steps into your skincare routine, you can maximize the benefits and unveil your skin's natural glow.
In this blog, we'll explore the essential steps of skincare layering, from cleansing to SPF, and discover how each plays a vital role in maintaining a flawless complexion.
Step 1: Cleanse
The first step in any skincare routine is to start with a clean canvas. Begin by cleansing your face with a gentle cleanser that suits your skin type.
This helps remove dirt, oil, and impurities, preparing your skin for the subsequent steps.
Incorporate a cleanser into your night routine, daily for best results.Shop Cleansers
- Use lukewarm water
- Wet your face before applying cleanser
- Gently massage in the cleanser and focus on areas like the forehead, nose and chin
- Don't forget your neck and jawline
- Pat dry with a clean towel
Step 2: Exfoliate
If you're incorporating exfoliation into your routine, choose a product that suits your skin's needs, whether it's a physical exfoliant like our Jojoba Bean Natural Exfoliant or a chemical exfoliant (a type of exfoliant that works deeper in the skin) like our Jojoba & Enzyme Radiance Mask.
Exfoliation helps slough away dead skin cells, revealing a smoother and brighter complexion.
Incorporate an exfoliant into your routine 1-3 times a week for best results.
- Always cleanse first
- Don't exfoliate too frequently
- Physical exfoliants are great for sensitive skin
- Chemical exfoliants are great for oily, blemish-prone skin
- Avoid exfoliating over breakouts, sunburn or extremely sensitive skin
- Before trying a chemical exfoliant with AHAs or BHAs, always patch test first
Step 3: Face Mask
Face masks provide an extra boost of targeted treatment for your skin. Whether you're looking to hydrate, purify, or rejuvenate, face masks can address various skin concerns.
Choose a mask that suits your needs, such as a hydrating sheet mask or a clay mask to draw out impurities.
Apply the mask evenly across your face, avoiding the eye and lip areas. Allow it to work its magic for the recommended time before gently rinsing or removing the mask.
Incorporate face masks into your routine once or twice for best results.
Step 4: Toner
After cleansing, it's time to restore your skin's pH balance. Toning is an essential step that not only rebalances your skin but also preps it for better absorption of subsequent products.
Look for a toner that suits your skin type and concerns, whether it's hydrating, clarifying, or soothing. Try our Jojoba Water Toning Mist for a light, hydrating toner that won’t strip or dry out your skin.
Incorporate a toner into your routine morning and night for best results.
- Choose the right toner for your skin type
- Apply toners with a cotton pad or fingertips
- Focus on problem areas
- Follow instructions and wash off, if required
Step 5: Eye Serum or Cream
Eye serums are targeted formulations designed to address specific concerns such as fine lines, puffiness, and dark circles.
Choose an eye serum rich in antioxidants, peptides, or hyaluronic acid, depending on your needs. Gently dab a small amount around the orbital bone, using your ring finger to avoid excessive pressure.
Incorporate eye serums into your routine morning and night, daily for best results.Shop Eyes and Lips
Step 6: Serum
Once your skin is toned, it's time to address specific concerns with targeted treatments.
Serums and essences packed with active ingredients like hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, or retinol can address issues such as hydration, brightening, or anti-ageing. Apply these products with gentle patting motions to encourage absorption.
Incorporate serums into your routine morning and night, daily for best results.Shop Serums
- Use products most active to least active first. For e.g. you would apply retinol first, before Hyaluronic Acid as retinol is more potent
- Always apply Hyaluronic Acid serums to damp skin, as this increases absorption
- Apply the recommended amount of product
- Press or lightly massage serums into the skin
- You can layer up to 2 serums
Step 7: Facial Oil
Facial oil is a luxurious and nourishing step in skincare layering. Rich in essential fatty acids and antioxidants, facial oils provide deep hydration and help seal in moisture.
Apply a few drops onto your palms, warm it between your hands, and gently press it onto your face, neck, and décolletage. Allow the oil to absorb fully before proceeding.
Incorporate a facial oil into your routine morning and night, daily for best results.Shop Face Oils
Face Oil Tips
- Avoid applying comedogenic oils, like coconut oil, to the face. These are oils that clog the pores and cause breakouts
- Apply to damp skin for better absorption
- Use a small amount, a little goes a long way
- Allow time for absorption
- Experiment by adding your oil into other products like your foundation or your moisturiser
Step 8: Moisturiser
Moisture is the key to maintaining a healthy complexion. After treating your skin, it's important to lock in hydration with a moisturiser suitable for your skin type.
Look for a product that provides the right balance of moisture without feeling heavy or greasy. If you have specific concerns like dryness or oily skin, choose a moisturiser formulated to address those needs.
Incorporate a moisturiser into your routine morning and night, daily for best results.Shop Moisturizers
- Find the right moisturiser for your skin. If you have dry skin, opt for a richer cream. If you have oily or breakout-prone skin, try a lighter gel-texture cream
- Don't forget your neck and decolletage
- Customise for day and night. You might like a lighter cream for daily use, but a rich night cream to replenish the skin overnight